Reptiles

Reptiles
Silly Grins

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

When in LA...

There are probably a number of things you absolutely shouldn't do when in LA, even if you're wearing your Dodgers cap. Really. 

In the summer... DUI checkpoints... well, they happen. Fact of life.

And when these facts of life do happen to happen, it's probably not a lot of fun for the guys and gals who are officially there to serve and whatnot.

Yeah, there are rumored to be quotas for making sure funds are generated, but being in charge of asking people for their ID and to blow into the little white tube.... giving some unappreciative clown a 'field sobriety test'... having to do that work when you'd rather be working on your buzz, it has to kind of suck.

When they are being serious, don't taunt them.




Well, Burns and Indiana had gone down to LA to visit the 'ole stomping grounds and check in with everyone else who was still alive, married with offspring, and not too strung out.

When the hens got together, Burns and a few of his buddies when somewhere, anywhere really, because it's LA... Burns and a few of his brah's ended up going through a checkpoint or at least trying to. Which normally isn't so bad.  Especially if your not driving.

your

Just don't try and be funny. Ever. Because your not.

And just in case you might be wondering, anyone on DUI-check duty in LA on a Saturday night probably won't see the humor in the following statement.

"Hey man, everything's cool, just don't Rodney King me..."

They've got badges, all kinds of paramilitary gear, very short fuses, and they're probably a hell of a lot thirstier than you are.

8 comments:

  1. And you are likely to be the 50th person who's made that smart remark that night. I'd hate being a cop. Well apart from the being able to shoot people bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Is being the bad guy ever fun?"

      "Tasers, baby, batons and tasers. All the way."

      Delete
  2. Cops get such a bad wrap because of the few knuckleheads and sadists that get hired. If I were to be a cop, I'd be the one with the nun-chucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knuckleheads... ain't about to try being one and I definitely ain't no sadist.

      Personally, I've had more positive than negative experiences. Not being the droid they were looking for.

      Delete
  3. CA cops in general are not the easiest people to deal with. I gotta sympathize a little but damn it all if some of them don't have a complex >:(

    Got my DUI in 09, I was stopped because a few minutes earlier some young punks were playing Fast and Furious down at the end of the street where I live. They drove a silver car; my car is silver. :( The cop was pretty cool about it and I played and paid. The other cop that showed had nothing better to do kept insisting it was me that was terrorizing my neighborhood. I actually screwed myself out of getting my sentence reduce while at the same time avoiding a reckless driving/exhibition of speed charge slapped on me too. I actually asked when the call was reported and showed them my receipt to show what time I actually left the bar. I had to peel out and do donuts because I was busy tossin' 'em back at the bar. Cop #1 agreed with me, cop #2 was pissed. I won/lost that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dealing with daily stresses that most people have never been close to experiencing even once in their lives, I also sympathize. And do understand that some folks have complex issues that need not become mine.

      Sounds like there was a bit of the good cop/bad cop thing going on. Good on you for keeping your receipt. We play, we pay.

      DUI... it happens here more than a lot of people will admit. Even though Japan's got a zero tolerance, people can get pretty tanked here and crash into things/people just as good as anywhere else... especially in the rural areas. Which is practically everywhere outside the major cities.

      What I didn't know is that if someone is drunk and hits you, chances are likely they will drive off. Because, from what I've been told, hit and split penalties are more lenient than DUI. If I'm ever run into by anyone, I must be prepared to take their keys.

      Delete
    2. I thought Japan was pretty lenient on DUI. I don't know what the US is like but here it's automatic licence suspension for first offence, later offences are jail time.

      Delete
    3. Kathryn, it is an automatic suspension of your license if you blow anything over .08 BAC. Depending on how high you blow they give you different length programs you are required to complete before you can have your license released to you. I blew pretty high so I had to pay 5k in fines, take a 9 month program which cost 800 and then retake my written drivers license test in order to get my license back. If you do not complete your program you can't get your license back. If I blow .08 in the 10 years its a 2nd offense and I could face jail time.

      Delete