Reptiles

Reptiles
Silly Grins

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Food for Thought



Every time I head back 'over there' 
I seem to end up meeting a number of 'them'.

And just who are they?

People who take their food very seriously.

Raw Food Delight
Edible flowers picked that morning...


Edible Beauty
Another bouquet of nutriment...






Most definitely Kosher...the best ever!

Not Kosher, but raw and live... (pardon the dirty carhartts)
A real cherry pie with no additives...and the crust was extra special.

Gluten-free

All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast.  
~John Gunther

Probably Kosher.

Brought to a potluck after the grapes were lightly baked in the oven.
Roasted pecans were crushed and added... absolutely heaven!


Another Healthy Breakfast: nut dish, meuslix with rice milk, Wallaby yogurt, and organic coffee...



It is just that...                                                       
eating so well for so many days, 
                            you kind of start to miss the other stuff...



  Silkies have five digits...hey, do you think the one on the right may be trying to tell me something?

 These two were definitely worth the wait... 
 
 Pure satisfaction!
 
Nobody seems more obsessed by diet than our anti-materialistic, otherworldly, New Age spiritual types.  But if the material world is merely illusion, an honest guru should be as content with Budweiser and bratwurst as with raw carrot juice, tofu and seaweed slime.  ~Edward Abbey
 
When I was going to school, in the midst of turstafariansI would just start humming this tune to myself...music is medicine. The fun starts at 1:10 folks...enjoy. 
 
 
(This post was inspired by a number of things which include reviews by Jay Rayner and Jennifer Reese of Eating Animals.  There was a blog that I somehow can't find at the moment, but if I do, I'll definitely put some quotes up from it because it is very telling. Anyway...)


8 comments:

  1. Kathryn: They changed my life...for years, no one would believe me (which is not necessarily a bad thing). Finally found them and mailed a link to a friend of mine, call him a comedian, who lost some beverage through his nose when he watched it. Hippies don't like me for the music I listen to. And keyboards probably don't like my humor either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I think that when you crave hands you are deffo never going veggie :-) It's weird because I've sought out and loved meat for most of my life but I could never eat trotter or feet. Watching people spit out knuckles was too disgusting for me.

    As Rayner said, most people won't go veggie because they see animals as inferior so it's not a big deal to farm, kill and eat them. I don't equate myself with a lion, I can survive without, so I do. I just don't see why my tastebuds and wants should be so important. That's as complex as it gets with me.
    I guess disagree with that Abbey chap, I don't believe that life is an illusion. That's just a convenient excuse for ignoring whatever you don't want to deal with. "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away"~ Philip K. Dick. Etc etc. Right. Off to bed! Goodnight :-)
    Generic Jen B (messing around with my blogger and I'm now "Jen" apparently)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen...I kind of like the Generic, but can definitely go with just Jen.

    Thank you for seeing the humor in the post.

    As for the Abby quote, I read that as him taking a shot at the "New Age spiritual" movement that often seems to permeate the more vegan of crowds. Taken in the context of what can be found on the Edward Abbey link (the last sentence in the last paragraph in the section about his "Later life" in addition to the last three paragraphs in the "Literature" section), I would say that you and Abbey may actually agree that life is not an illusion.

    Anyway...I'm back in 'that' environment for a while, so Reptiles and Samurai will be featuring food-talk and other non-Japan related issues for the next while.

    Again, thank you for your response.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well there you go. Just goes to show that I should actually click on links :-)

    "That" environment... The raw foodist movement? If so, enjoy, they make awesome food. Zucchini in lieu of lasagna sheets? Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you got the fuck-you finger in one of those pics? Kosher enough, a bit too much for my liking though; I'll stick with the cherry pie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen: "That" environment includes part of a raw-foodist element. Vegetarian proselytists can be fairly merciless. Sure, their food is good, but my omnivorous practice is my sacred cow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bigg: Yeah, the bird was giving me the bird, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete